Sunday 2 June 2013

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (Lux, #2)
Summary from Goodreads:
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


When I started the book I expected that it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Obsidian (which was unbelievably awesome.) I can tell you that it was equally as good as the first book and I was so happy that it surpassed my expectations.

When I started I was immediately hooked. I literally could not put it down. I gained a lot of shouts from my family for not paying attention to them. It's not my fault, Onyx is just too addictive. And Daemon is too hot.

Ah Daemon. How does one begin to describe Daemon? *Insert Daemon version of Mean Girls* Basically, Daemon is one of my favourite book boys ever. In Onyx we get to see a more tender side to him, which just made me love him even more. He really grows a lot in this book. The interactions between him and Katy were some of my favourite parts in the book. It made my chest tight with feelings.

We see less of one of my favourite characters, Dee. I was rather sad that she wasn't in it more. As sad as I was I think it was necessary for her to not be in it as much. It gave the plot a chance to grow more. I still missed her though. Her and Katy's relationship is very strained for the majority of this book. 

Katy faces a lot of trials in this book. She really goes through the wars. I feel that her being a book blogger helps me to connect more with her. It also helps to make the story more real. You feel as though it is actually happening right now. 

This book brought me on a roller-coaster ride with my emotions. I cried. I really did. There is one particular part in the book that I just couldn't help but cry at. Darn you Jennifer L. Armentrout for being such a good writer that you make me cry!! The ENDING, I can't even describe my feelings. I honestly can't. It was such a good cliffhanger and it made me want to go and buy the next book. However, I have made a pledge with myself to not buy any books until my exams are over. Roll on 15th June! Opal will be my first purchase!

Overall, Onyx was seriously amazing. I can't even put into words. I think I love it more than I loved Obsidian.


No comments:

Post a Comment