Friday 21 June 2013

Review: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Summary from Goodreads:
The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace freed from captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing, so is the boy she hates: her brother Sebastian, who is determined to bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

The Clave's magic cannot locate either boy, but Jace can't stay away from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith's magic has wrought - Jace and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other.

Only a few people believe that Jace can still be saved. Together, Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle bargain with the sinister Seelie Queen, contemplate deals with demons, and turn at last to the merciless, weapon-making Iron Sisters, who might be able to forge a weapon that can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. If the Iron Sisters can't help, their only hope is to challenge Heaven and Hell - a risk that could claim their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing not just her own life, but Jace's soul. She's willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Having been rather dissappointed with City of Fallen Angels, I didn't have high hopes for City of Lost Souls. However, Cassandra Clare managed to slightly rekindle my love of this series. Emphasis on the slightly. 

When I finished City of Glass I thought that it was the perfect ending  to the series and that we didn't need anything more. Then came City of Fallen Angels which was my least favourite of this series by far. 

In my opinion I have had enough of Clary and Jace. Personally, I think that there is only so many times their love can be threaten before it becomes completely unrealistic. There are so many other amazing characters that Cassandra Clare has created that, in my honest opinion, should be the focus instead of Jace and Clary. 

Where City of Fallen Angels failed, City of Lost Souls triumphed. We have more of the beloved humor that we all love. The writing is tighter and the story is better. 

In City of Lost Souls they do an awful amount of travelling. I didn't get a feel for any of the places that they visited. Having been to one of the places that they were in more than once I know what it's like and yet I didn't get a feel at all for the surroundings. 

We have some more ties to The Infernal Devices!! I am more a fan of The Infernal Devices than I am of The Mortal Instruments. I prefer Will over Jace and I prefer Tessa over Clary. 

All of the above said I did love the book, I just don't think that the series should still be going. Also, while I am excited to read City of Heavenly Fire, I am way more excited to read Clockwork Princess!!


No comments:

Post a Comment